Friday, November 03, 2006

The Craft Addict

This is a cry for help, are there any 12 step programs for craft addictions?

Seriously, my home already is filled to the brim with craft paraphernalia, it might even be dubbed a "Craft Den" or "Craft House". I've experimented with all varieties of craft such as Polymer clay, seed beading, Jewelry design including semi-precious stone stringing,wire wrap and sterling silver soldering, sewing, corsetry, quilt making, oil/acrylic/watercolor painting, box decorating, knitting, spinning, pottery, embroidery, needlepoint, cross stitch, wood burning.....

So I have a long history of crafting and I thought I was done - I really did...I thought I had kicked the habit of starting yet another craft. But then, I went to a friends house and made these -



Aren't they pretty? I LOVE candles! I might have dabbled in candle making when I was a child but it was only with tapers which took FOREVER since you had to repeatedly dip them. These were so easy and the varieties that you can make are endless. So many colors and fragrances, shapes and techniques...it was a whole new world.

The day after I made the candles I found myself on a candle making site with a shopping cart filled with supplies. I had the wax, wicks, jars of fragrances, colors, a melting pot, and candle forms all just waiting for me to buy them. I even printed out instructions on how to turn an electric presto pot into a giant wax melting pot just in case I wanted to make a WHOLE BUNCH. When I get into the craft I REALLY go right in and buy any and all supplies needed - I don't like starting and then realizing I have to wait a week for something else.

Then while I was searching through my purse for my credit card I stopped. I returned back to my computer and shut it off. I backed away and figured this has got to be the first step in getting this craft addiction under control. Did I do the right thing? Is it so bad to have plenty of hobbies to keep my busy and satiate my creative spirit?

I don't know. What do you think?