Monday, August 07, 2006

Breather from the City

I realize that I am a NYC girl born and raised and I don't think I want to live anywhere else other than NYC...but...from time I NEED a break from it all. A break from the subway, the noise, the oppressive city humidity and heat which radiates up from the cement and into the soles of your feet. There is nothing like a country breather in the middle of summer.

This weekend I went upstate to the Catskills to visit my dad. My two sisters, niece and I drove up the 2.5 hours very early Sat. morning...and I am so glad I went. It's been a difficult couple of months, and I didn't realize how much a little getaway could help release tension and just make me feel good.

Here are a few pics from Sunday - we went to a lovely creek with a waterfall and went swimming.


Isn't it just georgeous! The water was so clear and cool, I didn't want to leave.


Me and my sisters.



Me and my niece...look at that tan - I'm like a ghost compared to her. I guess it helps that her dad is Columbian, and she is out in the sun and the pool all day. Ahh to be a kid again.

So - if you are tense or need a break - take a little overnight trip it'll do a world of good!

Although I have no knitting content I did buy yarn for Sizzle on friday. Debbie Bliss Cathay in a great magenta color. I'll be swatching tonight, and most likely doing a little math.

So while I was up at my fathers place I had this idea of maybe doing knitting/spinning retreats. My father's property has about 7 cabins on it, one of which he lives in. They aren't ready to be rented out yet, but we are working on fixing them up. The property is a nice size with a swimming pool (being fixed as well), 1/2 a basketball court, and plenty of grass to roll around in (for kids). I thought that it might be cool to offer a few different workshops over the course of the weekend, and also have a little shop for Indy vendors. Would anyone be interested in something like that?