Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Experimentation

Last night I ditched my regular two-ply and decided to do something a little fun and funky with my spinning. I spun up a bunch of hand dyed roving into a rainbow, and then plied that with a black cotton-rayon thread, while plying it I decided to throw all caution to the wind and place little funky birds nests throughout. This is what I got:





here is a closeup of the little nests:



I love the way this yarn came out and I'm calling it Rainbow Blast

So, after the appaling show of terrible knitting yesterday, I decided it was about time I tried a real pattern. Up until now, for the past year, I've been knitting everything without patterns, just kinda glancing at patterns or objects and making them. But now, I've decided to grow up and join the real knitters. I've started the infamous multidirectional diagonal scarf. And I'm going to knit proper untwisted stitches...I promise. Here is the mini acrylic test of the pattern to make sure I could do it.



I'm going to be making the real scarf in the softest yarn I have ever fet, berocco Softy. Yes yes I know it isn't a natural fiber, and I know it's a novelty yarn, but seriously now it's so friggin soft! And I must admit I happen to enjoy making scarves with novelty yarn, I don't care if they only last one season, by next season they will be out of style anyway! --- so there! And I've had this yarn in my stash for a while now, I scored a ton of yarn when my LYS went out of business, sad, but I had to take advantage of yarn that was 50% off!

I'll post the progress on the scarf tomorrow.