Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Thank you - Thank you

I want to thank everyone for all the lovely comments, support and help in making my yarn shop a sucess!!

I've sold out of yarn but don't worry I hope to have another update on Monday. I've got some exciting things happening and in a few weeks I'll have a great superwash sock yarn - it reminds me of koigu with a nice tight twist and great stitch definition. The best thing about it is you can throw it right into the washing machine - so be on the lookout for it.

I have been knitting, albeit not all that much. I started the Flower Basket Shawl - my first forey into the world of lace and chart reading. It took a little time and lots of help from Veronique and Virginia for me to get cast on and figure out how to read these annoying charts! Thanks girls you rock! It's so nice to have such a talented group of friends to learn from. Since I haven't had "quality" knitting time where I can sit down and concentrate on a pattern I don't have much done but here is the measly progress shot:

If I stretch it out I can see two cute little flower baskets - I'm going to have to stop stretching it out because I'm going to make the yarn all ratty with my pulling and tugging. I have to accept that with lace the progress is slow and you don't really see all the details till you block it. In the pic I have it in straight needles but I can't stand them so I went out and bought addis and it's much smoother going.

I've also cast on last night, while on the train, for the second dublin bay inspired sock - I really am loving the toe up thing and I've got a hang of the figure 8 cast on and magic loop method. I am not a fan of provisional cast ons. The act of unravling the beginning of my knitting freaks me out a little. I won't post a pic till the pair is done I don't want to bore you.

Here is a little spinning I've done between LYS order spinning. It's plain jane spinning - no sparkle or fluff just me and the fiber working to make yarn. The top is bulky merino 2-ply, then bulky Alpaca 2-ply, and DK 2-ply Blue Faced Leicster (so great to spin!)

I'll leave you with a picture of freshly dyed fiber - I wish I had a room full of this - I'd jump in it and fall asleep like my cats do!