Friday, October 14, 2005

Rhinebeck...cry cry cry

I really really want to go to Rhinebeck and the NYS Sheep and Wool Festival, but unfortunately I just can't make it up there this weekend. Tomorrow I have a rehearsal all day and on Sunday E is working and needs the car (I'll let you in on a secret...I am 27 and I don't drive - I don't even have a driver's license! - I'm a hardcore New Yorker). I want to go so badly I have written a really bad haiku:

Rhinebeck you tease me
with your fibery delights
carless I am lost

I told you it was bad! Since I won't be a Rhinebeck along with all you lucky knitters and spinners I'll have to make due with spinning up some of this:

this: and this:

These are Romney Locks that have already been dyed - I scored these on ebay a while ago. I don't have a drum carder - yet, so I'll be opening the locks and spinning them from there. I really like spinning like this, the yarn gets a great halo, it's softer than processed romney and it's always fun to let the curls stick out. The only problem with this fiber is the amount of VM that I have to pluck out and the occasional dead bug. I normally wouldn't call myself high maintenence but dead bugs in fiber kind of gross me out. It's not like I run screaming, but I am so used to nice clean processed fiber I kinda get the creeps every time a dried up beetle carcass plops into my hand or onto my lap. You have to see the mess around the spinning wheel when I am done, it's all hay and bug parts...don't worry I get them all out in the process of spinning - no bugs for my customers! Look at all I go through for you...how selfless...ok ok enough of the melodrama, sometimes I get carried away.

So while everyone is at Rhinebeck, I'll be here spinning. Hopefully, I'll have a bunch of stuff to show you on Monday. Maybe I'll do a little shopping of my own, I really shouldn't but 3lbs of fine BFL are calling to me...No I think I'll hold off. I already broke my fiber diet by going to school products..bad Marie bad bad.